Smart owners will always be thinking of ways to improve their restaurant. In the words of Michael Mina “There’s always room to improve in a restaurant. A restaurant is better or worse every day than it was the day before. It’s impossible not to be, because it’s human”.
Let’s dive right in.
Make your restaurant more appealing
- Provide a good atmosphere: Focus on music, lighting and smell to start setting the mood. It should be warm and inviting. Research from the University of South Wales showed that subjects spent more in restaurants with upbeat music. Depressing songs led to less spending, but the worst results happened when there was no music at all.
- Avoid an overcomplicated menu: Avoid an overcomplicated menu that confuses customers with overwhelming choices, cryptic language and a complex layout. Provide a menu that makes it easy for customers to search for dishes by arranging items sequentially and in logical groups. Featuring the dishes you’re best at making can also attract more customers.
Ways to attract more customers
The most influential primary sectors of a restaurant are ambience, service and food. Apart from these, use the below-mentioned tips to grow your business:
- Focus on building a great website: Setting up a website for your restaurant is a great way to attract more customers. It really helps you build trust among existing and potential customers and can make a great first impression with new visitors.
- Check in apps: List your restaurant on famous check-in apps like Foursquare as they are getting more popular day by day. More than 45 million users use Foursquare alone.
- Special occasion email/message: Send an email/message to your regular customers on their birthday or any other special occasion and offer a free product on the house. This will attract more customers and may get business from other members accompanying him/her.
- Collaborate on special offers: Collaborate with different organisations to provide offers such as dinner and a movie, discount offered to customers in a nearby motel etc.
- Consistency: Customers like consistency. It’s important to maintain the quality and consistency of your food to keep your customers coming back.
- Social media: Best way to promote your restaurant is to post pictures of mouth-watering, drool-worthy, beautifully arranged drink and food online. Use social media to show how many people have tried your restaurant and loved it. Always respond when people reach out to you. Build your following!
- Energy-efficient equipment and appliances: Investing in energy-efficient appliances and equipment will save money in the long run. While they might cost more at the start, they will help you save money in the long run. Also, keep appliances off when you don’t need them.
- Adapting cost effective solutions: Using apt technological solutions will surely help in efficient management in a cost effective manner. Consulting and finding the right technology and software for your restaurant will make it easier to manage.
- Low flow toilets and faucets: Installing low-flow toilets and faucets will save up to 40% off your water bill.
- Avoid over-staffing: It may be tempting to hire more people than necessary in order to ensure that the restaurant runs smoothly. However, too many staffs will increase your labour costs and reduce your overall profit.
- Remove menu items that aren’t selling: Removing menu items that aren’t selling will help reduce food spoilage.
Ways to make customers happy
- Clean restaurant: Customers want a clean restaurant. Don’t just wipe the tables, check every nook and corner of your restaurant and make sure it’s clean, including the toilets. Check for chewing gum underneath the table and chair.
In addition to the restaurant, ensure that your staffs clothes are clean. The appearance of your staff reflects on your restaurant just as much as the building.
- Offer perks: Offer perks to your repeat customers. Introduce a card system and offer points based on the bill amount that can be redeemed later.
- Communicate: Greet customers and answer their questions regarding the menu items and specials. Let customers have a say.
- Send messages: Send message greetings to your customers on special occasions such as their birthday or anniversary.
- Avoid insect and hair problems: Customers should never find a hair on their table or ( an insect/a hair ) in their food.
Ways to keep your best employees
- Fair wage: Your employees may be loving their jobs and might be happy, but at the end of the day they are working for you to earn a living. Smart owners pay well.
- Meetings: Hold frequent meetings. Greet your employees daily and talk with them for a few minutes. Solicit their feedback so they don’t feel voiceless. Make sure your staffs feel part of your restaurant’s success.
- Resolve conflicts: Resolve conflicts effectively by making sure you stay neutral while negotiating a solution or compromise to the problem.
- Perks: Provide perks based on the employee’s performance.
- Make your workplace fun: Make your restaurant an exciting place to be by holding frequent contests, celebrations, and team-building activities. Plan occasional group excursions to get everyone out.
- Free Wi-Fi: Offer free Wi-Fi only if you have an unlimited data plan with high speed.
- Games at the table: Parents are often exhausted after a long day at work. Give the parents of young children a break while occupying their children. Consider handheld gaming devices at the table.
- Tablet ordering: Invest in a tablet-based POS system like Expodine to boost your sales, reduce upfront and long-term costs, manage your business on the go and create customer satisfaction.
For more info view this awesome infographic.